Wednesday 27 August 2008

I was just thinking...about blessings

I was just thinking…

‘Then which of the Blessings of your Lord will you both (jinns and men) deny?’
(Surah Ar-Rahman, Ayah 13)

Subhan’Allah, this ayah is such a reminder. I was thinking about the unfairness of a situation, when this ayah suddenly came to mind. Almost immediately I felt a jolt back to reality. How often did I actually value what I had rather than what I didn’t? What I possessed rather than what I could still obtain? What I valued rather than what blessings I missed?

Truly our Rabb swt is Most Merciful, for how often do we miss thanking Him for the things He has blessed us with and instead complain about what we don’t have. Reflecting on this aspect I came to the slow but painful realisation that I had indeed ceased to be grateful to my Master. The Only One who cared enough to give me life, endow me with my sense of sight, smell, and touch, gave me ears to hear with, legs to walk with and a heart to feel the deepest of emotions with. Subhan’Allah, and this isn’t even an outline of a minute number of the blessings we take forgranted daily.

With a sudden zeal, and with the very close approach of Ramadhan, I decide to make a sincere intention to be grateful for all that I have been gifted with…the most important and most beautiful gift being that of Imaan. The next time I want to complain about something, I need to think twice before I say something that I might regret. And with this, the hadith of the Prophet SAW comes to mind,

Allah’s Messenger, (Sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said, ‘How wonderful the believer’s lot is! His lot is all good. Nobody save the believer is as such. If bestowed with pleasant occurrence, he would thank (God) and that would be good for him; and if afflicted with a misfortune, he would keep patient and that would be good for him’
(Muslim)

Subhan’Allah…how merciful our Rabb swt is. He does not even afflict us with a calamity unless it is to grant us something beneficial in return. All we have to do is remain patient. Another blessing! Alhamdulillah!

So, with the coming of the greatest month of our year, let us all strive to be grateful to Allah swt for ALL that He has blessed us with and strive to please Him swt, for truly who can love us more than One who constantly blesses us with His gracious gifts even when we give Him nothing in return?
© August 2008 Quratul Ayn

No comments: